Thursday, February 22, 2007

Equal Pay Reigns at Wimbledon

Associated Press via Fox Sports

Women's tennis finally get's their say. After more than one hundred years of inequality, Wimbledon's All England Club announced today female players will receive equal prize money at this year's tournament.

This has been a touchy topic the last few years as the the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) has become just a much (if not more) of a draw to tournament coverage. Power players like the Williams sisters, Justine Henin-Hardenne and Maria Sharapova, have helped revitalize a sport accustomed to relying on it's top male players for prime time entertainment.

I don't know what took them so long, but I'm glad they finally came around.

3 comments:

West said...

I started off agreeing with your position, then I found out a bit more and began to disagree.

In the end, despite the different rules-of-play, I agree that those who bring in equal-plus dollars ought to get equal-plus pay.

I think it's as simple as that.

Xiasuko said...

West, thanks for the comment. I agree, it is as simple as that. I have been disappointed with this inequity for quite some time. As I mentioned in my post, the WTA has been largely responsible for the upswing professional tennis has had the last 5 years or so. They picked up the slack left by Sampras' retirement and younger players like Federer and Rodick finding their game. The relevance of the WTA can no longer be ignored, and that relevance should be equally compensated.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.